Summer Vacations are the best time of the year, for there is no school for the next one and a half months, and you can relax because you don’t have to get up early in the morning and prepare your kids for school. Isn’t that a great feeling?
What is even better than not waking up early during the summer vacation is that you can plan your summer vacation trips and have the best time of your life away from home.
Out of all the summer holiday destinations in India, it might become confusing what place to choose. Why is it necessary to be a part of the crowd? Why not choose something
I will tell you some offbeat places to plan your next vacation. So here is a list of Summer vacation places in India where you can plan your next best trip.
1. Spiti Valley
The best summer vacation ideas for families can be a little confusing at times because family members’ opinions may differ from one destination to another. However, people who have seen and heard about Spiti Valley will never say no to this place, for they know it is one of the ultimate summer vacation destinations for families in India.
This cold desert is as beautiful as it can get, making you wonder if this is what heaven would look like if you got a chance to be there.
Spiti Valley is a dream for many travellers, for the land gets covered with a sheet of snow during winters and looks paradisiacal. No words can ever do justice to the beauty of this place. So grab your phone and book your Spiti Valley Tour Package, and this summer vacation, just live your dream.
- Key Monastery: Spiti is home to several monasteries. The most popular among tourists is the Key Monastery in Spiti Valley. The monastery is home to several monks, and you will find several ancient scriptures, artefacts and other Buddhist scriptures.
- Chandratal Lake: The Chandratal Lake, also known as the Moon Lake, is quite famous in Spiti Valley and witnesses several tourists. The crystal clear water with reflections of mountains is the most beautiful thing you can see.
- Kunzum Pass: The Kunzum Pass, also known as Kunzum La, is one of the highest motorable passes, situated at a towering elevation of 14931 ft above sea level. It is a gateway to this beautiful land when you try to enter via Kullu and Lahaul.
Suggested Read: How To Reach Spiti Valley
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive exclusive offers, latest news and updates.
You have already subscribed our newsletter!
Thanks for Subscribing our newsletter!
2. Coonoor, Tamil Nadu
Coonoor, located in Tamil Nadu, is the second-largest hill station of the Western Ghats and is blessed with immense beauty. Located at an elevation of approximately 6000 ft above sea level, Coonoor is surrounded by Nilgiris and Green Tea estate. The place has rich greenery; you can witness the tea-making process and visit Catherine Falls. Other places you can visit in Coonoor are:
- Sim’s Park: At Sim’s Park, you will find rare exotic and exquisite plant species.
- Dolphin’s Nose: The place derives its name from the shape of the hill that is shaped like that of a dolphin’s nose and offers panoramic views. This is a must-visit place in Coonoor if you wish to see a blend of beauty and serenity.
- Hidden Valley: Hidden Valley is the hidden gem of Coonoor and will definitely be worth it.
Suggested Read: Flat Pack Hotels: The Future Of Lodging
Ladakh, the land of rugged terrains and high motorable passes,, is many travellers’ dream destination. Apart from looking up pictures of Ladakh, we have also seen Ladakh in the famous movie 3 Idiots, where the entire climax of the movie is shot near Pangong Lake.
This Himalayan wonderland can be your next offbeat summer vacation destination for families in India, for there is everything one can ask for. Ladakh is the land of thrilling adventures, serenity, and rugged mountains, and is a perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of chaotic city life. It is definitely a break worth taking.
The enchanting surroundings, the innumerable monasteries, the cold weather, the deserted region and everything about this land is extraordinary. You can find spiritual vibes right here in Ladakh, probably because of the number of monasteries present there.
Ladakh Bike Trips are quite popular among youngsters, and those who are not in for so much adventure they can also take Ladakh Tour Packages and have a fun holiday.
- Pangong Lake: Pangong Lake or Pangong Tso is the most popular lake in the region, we have all seen it in the movies, and it has crystal clear turquoise-coloured water, making you flex your pictures all over social media. Since the lake is very salty, there is no aquatic life in the water. However, there are ducks and gulls on the surface.
- Shanti Stupa: If you seek peace, then visit the Shanti Stupa and delve into spiritual bliss. The stupa was built by Japanese Buddhists as well as Buddhists from Ladakh in order to spread positivity and luck.
- Nubra Valley: The best and the most beautiful place in Ladakh is the Nubra Valley. It separates Ladakh from the Siachen Glacier and Karakoram Range as the two rivers Shyok and Siachen meet here.
- Khardung La: Khardung La is the highest motorable pass in the world and also the most stunning among all the motorable passes in Ladakh.
4. Tawang, Andhra Pradesh
Tawang, located in the state of Andhra Pradesh, may not be on everyone’s list of best summer vacation places in India because not many people are aware about the immense beauty that it provides. You can have a lifetime of memories at Tawang, for it is a perfect place to spend time with your family, and if you have kids, they are going to love it here. There are stunning waterfalls, and misty rivers, but keep in mind that it is also a little difficult to reach because the place does not have good connectivity and public transport is not available, so you should take your own vehicle and explore the place.
- Sela Pass: Sela Pass is called the lifeline of the people of Tawang because it is the only way that connects Tawang to the rest of the country. The pass is always covered with snow and feels heavenly. As heavenly as it is, you need an inner line permit because it is the border area and whenever you travel in sensitive regions, you need an inner line permit to move further.
- Tawang Monastery: The Tawang Monastery is said to be the second largest monastery in the world, the largest one being Lhasa. It is also called the Golden Namgyal Monastery and according to the locals, the monastery is approximately 400 years old with control over 17 Gompas of the region, and is also a home to 300 monks who live here in the monastery.
Other places you can visit in Tawang are Tawang Memorial, Madhuri Lake, Nuranang Falls, Gorichen Peak, etc.
Suggested Read: 8 Luxurious Trains That Take Luxury Up A Notch
5. Pelling, Sikkim
Who wouldn’t want to have the most amazing views of the mountain peaks while holding hands with your loved ones? We all want that right?
Pelling, located in the west district of Sikkim, is famous for its breathtaking views of the Himalayas, especially the Kanchenjunga Peak. Over time, the place has evolved into a popular tourist spot and is a base for several treks, just in case you are into trekking.
It is undoubtedly one of the best summer vacation places in India.
- Darap Village: Darap Village is home to many ethnic communities and gives travellers the chance to stay in local homestays, which is a wonderful experience for you to understand the culture of the people.
- Rimbi River: This 12km long Rimbi River is perfect for family picnics and also one of the reasons to choose Pelling as one of the offbeat summer vacation destinations for families in India.
- Rimbi Waterfall: It is a small yet very beautiful waterfall above the Rimbi River and is quite an attraction in Pelling for tourists.
6. Naukuchiatal, Uttarakhand
Uttarakhand Tour Package is the best thing you can choose for yourself if you are looking for a weekend getaway in a serene location.
Naukuchiatal is a tiny place in the state of Uttarakhand, surrounded by hilly terrains and water. The word “Tal” stands for Lake, meaning “the lake of nine corners.
The city is located near Nainital and is blessed with lush greenery and immense beauty that surrounds it.
You can go for boating activities in Naukuchiatal and explore the nearby areas.
- Bhimtal: Bhimtal is another small town in Uttarakhand, located at a distance of approximately 19 kms from Naukuchiatal and is a picturesque town surrounded by hills and lakes. It is popular for having a lake island which is also has an aquarium and a cafe from where you can enjoy the view while snacking on your french fries and cold coffee.
Suggested Read: Best Weekend Getaways From Delhi
7. Harsil, Uttarakhand
It’s a little challenging to choose the best summer vacation places in India because there are so many summer holiday destinations in India that it might become a little confusing.
We are always on the lookout for something unique, usually the path unexplored, so to make it a little easier for you, let me tell you that you can travel to Harsil Village which is most probably one of the offbeat summer vacation destinations for families in India.
Not known to many tourists, Harsil is the gateway for people looking to get rid of chaos and are on the lookout for a peaceful serene place to spend some family time.
8. Tirthan Valley, Himachal Pradesh
Tirthan Valley is undoubtedly the place where heaven meets Earth, for it is full of stunning landscapes and mesmerizing beauty.
It is quite popular among youngsters and should definitely make it to your list of summer vacation destinations for families in India.
People usually take Tirthan Valley Tour Packages for weekend getaways, however, that doesn’t mean, you cannot have your summer vacation here. It is one of the best summer vacation trips that you can have with your family. It is in close vicinity to The Great Himalayan National Park, and gives you plenty of adventure activities, making it the most memorable summer vacation trips of all time.
Activities such as rock climbing can be undertaken here. It also allows tourists to take trekking activities for it is not only a beautiful place filled with greenery but also provides trekking trails to the tourists.
If you are looking for an adventure sport, then you can also go for river crossing activities.
9. Vagamon Kerala
Kerala’s beauty justifies its tagline God’s own country. When it comes to Kerala, words fall short to describe it and Vagamon is a beautiful part of Kerala that could be one of your offbeat summer vacation destinations for families in India.
Since we have explored every mountain of North India, it’s time to explore the inexplicable beauty of the South and see for yourself that it isn’t any less beautiful.
- Ulipooni Wildlife Sanctuary: Just 10kms from Vagamon lies the Ulipooni Wildlife sanctuary you visit while you are in Vagamon.
- Kurisumala: It is one of the popular pilgrimage sites among Christians and the place gets flocked with followers on Good Friday.
- Pine Hills: As the name speaks for itself, the Pine Hills is filled with pine trees and would give you the feeling of walking in the woods.
10. Port Blair, Andamans
If you wish to travel abroad but are unable to do so then you should put Port Blair on your offbeat summer vacation destinations for families list. Port Blair is the capital city of Andaman & Nicobar Island and is an Indian Naval Base that is of great significance.
It is also home to historical cellular jail and barren land that is only known for its active volcano.
- Cellular Jail: You must have heard the name Kalapani at least once in your life. The word Kalapani is also used as a metaphor by many Indians. So if you have always wondered where this Kalapani is located, now you know the answer. For those who have no idea about this place, let me tell you, Kalapani is a historical cellular jail in Port Blair built by the Britishers during their colonial rule, and political prisoners were exiled here. The Jail is now under the Indian Government and is preserved as a historical place, for it gives us an idea of the life of the prisoners during the colonial era. The Cellular jail is a prominent attraction in Andaman and brings in a lot of tourists.
- Corbyn Cove: Corbyn Cove is said to be the closest beach to Port Blair and is quite popular among the locals as well as tourists, and you can sit here and relax by the beach. There are several snack stalls and shops where you can get great deals on clothes, accessories and souvenirs.
- Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park: Just at a distance of 25 km from Port Blair, you can find the Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park, which is also known as the Wandur National Park. The National Park is a conservation area of Marine life and was established in the year 1983 to conserve the marine life of that particular area. The marine park also allows its travellers to go activities such as snorkelling among the sea turtles and exquisite coral reefs.
The best summer vacation ideas are usually the ones that include a trip to Port Blair, and I am pretty sure that it is one of the best summer vacation destinations for families in India.
Suggested Read: 10 Deadliest Places In The World Not For The Weak Hearted
Out of all the summer vacation places in India, Mcleodganj is one place that should definitely be on your list. Also known as the Little Lhasa, Mcleodganj is full of spirituality and serenity and why would it not be spiritual, after all, it is the home of the popular spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama.
Delve deeper into the lush greenery, stunning landscapes and ancient monasteries. You will find a touch of colonial rule here because of the ancient architecture you will find here.
- Bhagsunag Falls: Bhagsunag Falls is what makes Mcleodganj one of the summer holiday destinations in India because it not only connects Mcleodganj to Dharamshala but is also a picnic spot for families.
- Namgyal Monastery: The Monastery is the largest Tibetan Temple which is not in Tibet, and is the holy abode of the spiritual leader Dalai Lama.
- Bhagsunag Temple: It is one of the oldest ancient temples and is highly significant to the Hindus and Gorkhas of the region. There is a popular belief that the temple has immense healing powers and witnesses people from around the country.
- Triund: You must have heard of Triund. It is one of the most popular treks among youngsters, and also the best place to have picnics, and the trekking trail is so beautiful that words fall short to describe it.
Are you like Shraddha Kapoor, who loves the rain and would start cheering with joy as soon as the first drop falls from the sky then Cherrapunji will surely make it to your list of offbeat summer vacation destinations for families in India.
Cherrapunji is also known as the “land of oranges” and is said to be the wettest place on the entire planet and the only place which rains throughout the year in the country. Located in the heart of Meghalaya, Cherrapunji is a traveller’s paradise.
Covered with a green blanket of trees, Cherrapunji is one of the best summer vacation destinations for families in India.
One surprising fact about Cherrapunji is that although it rains throughout the year, it still has plants which require very little water. These plants somehow survive in the wettest place on Mother Earth, which in itself is a miracle.
- Nohkalikai Waterfall: Nohkalikai Waterfall is the tallest plunge waterfall and witnesses several Indian tourists hanging by the waterfall here, enjoying the picturesque views.
- Double Decker Living Root Bridges: Cherrapunji is very popular for its most famous attraction, the double-decker living root bridge. The fascinating part about this double-decker bridge is that it has been made by the locals of Cherrapunji, who took the living roots of the trees and tied them to each other, making a masterpiece of an attraction for the tourists, leaving them in awe.
- Krem Mawmluh: If you are in Cherrapunji and you don’t visit the caves, then you just wasted your time and money at the same time. The place is full of mysterious caves, and one such cave is the Krem Mawmluh, which is one glorious cave waiting for you to explore.
- Mawlynnong: Have you heard about Asia’s cleanest village? Well, if you have, you must know that this village is right here in Cherrapunji. Like Kerala is God’s own country, the Mawlynnong Village is known as God’s own garden. You can guess how clean the garden must be to get that big an honour. So get on board and breathe in some clean air, which you may not find elsewhere in Asia.
Suggested Read: 12 Must-Have Songs For Your Travel Playlist
Khajjiar in Himachal Pradesh, also known as Mini Switzerland of India, is one of the most offbeat summer vacation destinations for families in India. The grassy meadows and the picturesque landscape is what make Khajjiar one of the perfect summer vacation ideas for families. It is quite popular for camping, so you can also have a little adventure on your summer vacations. The most astonishing part of Khajjiar is that you can witness the holy mountain Kailash, located in Tibet. The snow-clad peak is visible from Khajjiar. Kailash is a mountain that witnesses thousands of pilgrims every year. You can also take Himachal backpacking trips if that’s what you interested in.
- Khajjiar Lake: The Khajjiar Lake in Khajjiar is one magnificent lake surrounded by mountains and grassy landscapes.
- Paanch Pandava Trees: You will be surprised to find that there are six trees with the same root, but as they have gone up, the trees have been split up into six parts. The tree has been linked to the five Pandavas and their wife, Draupadi, from the Mahabharata.
To sum up, our country is full of wonderful places and I am pretty sure that out of all the places I have just mentioned, more than one would have made it to your offbeat summer vacation destinations for families in India.
There is so much beauty in our country that one lifetime seems too short to explore all of it while also have a life and a career.
Well, that is not in our hands because, no matter how bad it sounds, life is short but when life is short, you should live every moment to the fullest and make sure that every day is as wonderful as it could get and take out time for yourself and your family and take that vacation, you have been planning for so long.
So take a break from your chaotic life, take your kids, friends and family and enjoy every minute of the day and spend your best days of life travelling and living your best life because life may be short but regret lasts a lifetime and you don’t want a life full of regrets, instead a life full of adventures and travel stories to share with the world.